soc-op

semi-qualified opinions on society, media and politics. Mostly from Norway, as that's where I live.

recent Deviant Art additions:



Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Why did people ever come here?

The first people who settled the Scandinavian peninsula must have had a huge quarrel with the rest of humanity. Or a terrible urge to be alone. What kind of sane stone-age guy would want to move to a place where the sun's behind the horizon for months at a time with only a wolfskin and a tent to protect themselves from the cold?

I haven't been awake since October. Late October the sun didn't come up until after I came to work. It still doesn't, and it wont for another few weeks. And I spend longer and longer periods of time wondering why I don't just pack my bags and move back to Australia, where I've spent the last three years as a student in the best city on earth. I might just do that some day. When the sun returns and I'm able to stay awake for more than three hours...